Friday, February 23, 2007

The Back Story

(Please bear with me on the length of this first post)
Welcome my friends, I call you my friends, because that is what i am hoping we shall become, and as my friends you will help me and support me with my goals.
What are my goals you ask? well its quite simple actually...in this forum i have only one. To raise enough money to have professionally printed a pool table sized risk board with which to command armies.
Before i get into detail...
"The Back Story".
I love the game of risk, always have all the way back to the time when I would simply get my ass kicked by my older brother because i barely knew how to play, but he needed an opponent.
Over the year i have not been able to play as many games as I would have liked, but almost all that I have played have been great.
This past weekend, my girlfriend, her brother and I sat down and played a game. It was great fun and an overall good game...even if i DID loose.
Throughout the course of the game the idea of a pool table sized risk board was brought up.
(we were using my pool table to play the game on)
"The Idea"
This got the gears of my obsessive personality-mind turning, and its basically all i have thought about this week.
The idea has evolved, de-evolved and evolved again a few times in the course of the week.
The original idea was to get an over-head projector, and draw the map on giant paper, and do it all myself. Then the idea of getting it printed came up. I looked into it, but it is going to cost something like 300-400 dollars to get done.
THAT'S where YOU come in!
"The Project"
To see if its possible to be done, i am going to start asking for donations to get this kick ass map made.
What i propose to do is this:
I will begin making my own homemade version of this project, so even if i don't get the funds i will have one. This will give you an idea of just how cool a proper one would be, and just how much work is involved in what i am doing
(plus it will ad some nice colour to this page)
I will take photos and keep you updated on the progress of said map while accepting to donations to go towards "the real" version.
I will keep you appraised of the funding levels.
When the project is complete I will of course post pictures and capture the first game to share with you.
and that's basically the gist of it. Keep coming back for updates and the like.
I think i have gone on enough for now.
Updates will be often in this first little while.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi General Risk

I love when you mention me, even if it's only in passing. I am going to keep checking up on your blog periodically, see how it's going and give encouragement to keep going, even if I do that in person a lot too. It's exciting to see it in progress and I'll be your first donation, I think. Maybe it'll reduce my debt to you a bit *wink*

Love you!!

Mimi